Sunday, November 11, 2007

Walter's New Habitat

We first met Walter one week before Brandon's 11th birthday. He was shy, nervous.....tortured.

As the teenaged boy showed off his new friend, bragging how this fat ball of fluff just bounces off the floor, flinging him into the air like an acrobat with the Cirque, "and sometimes I miss catching him".

My heart just went into a flurry of motherly protection and concern, as this poor little thing got shoved inside his coat pocket. But I can't save the world, all the time, and it seems I'm protecting frailty constantly, a neverending sorrow of these poor little creatures mistreated, neglected.

Oh, my heart...the image of his little face never left me.

On the day before Brandon's birthday he appeared again, but this time I asked, "is your little rodent for sale?" And $40.00 dollars later a birthday present is purchased, rescuing Walter from an early demise.

We have since ditched the crappy prison he was previously contained in and have purchased, module by module, like the space station, a new beginning for Walter.







No comments: