Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Rain Stays Mainly on the Plain

As anticipated, camping during the May long weekend resulted with a down pour, with the occasional breaks of calm. There were no blue skies, no boats on the lake, no wallowing smoke from firepits with steak smells. No loud music, no kids on bicycles, no new friendships, no nothing, except rain, rain and more rain.

Sabrina brought along two friends, bringing our party of four to a tribe of six,




which meant I had to drive the van up to the lake, since the Hummer could barely squeeze in the electric scooters, and bikes and all the crap the kids require to amuse themselves in the rain. Daniel left early in the afternoon, set up camp, then got the speedboat out of storage.



By the time the girls and I got there, everything was ready, beds made, christmas lights strung up, even a laundry line.

I got three pictures in, as if I need to be reminded of the rain, when my camera DIED! It just blacked out and we didn't bring the charger. So there were several

















wonderful shots I wanted to take, like of the few windows of opportunity when we got the boat into water and tubed the kids back and forth, all wearing wet suits, looking like a bunch of 90210 t.v. characters.

The girls primped and flattened each other's hair in the camp washroom, while Brandon watched Jimmy Neutron the Movie for the 100th time. Daniel and I sat around a fire and I had to listen to him moan and groan about the rain. "I told you so" I kept saying, since I watched the weather forecast a full week before we came here, knowing the weekend was calling for rain, rain and more rain.

About the girls. Breanna's mom is a nervous wreck and needed to be in contact with her daughter every few hours. We hadn't even left the house yet and she'd already called four times. We called when we got to the lake, when we went to bed, when we awoke. By the second day I hid the phone, except then she started calling the On-star Hummer phone. When Breanna has sleepovers at the house, and if we don't answer the phone, she drives over right away, panicking, because "no one answered the phone".

Shay stinks. She stinks of B.O. all the time, and her feet stink, too. She talks like a valley girl, "you know, want to go to the Mall". And she eats like there's no tomorrow, but mostly she stinks.

But they get along and it was amusing to watch them watch guys. Brandon loves Breanna, he just adores her.

The sun came out just when we arrived back home. My garden looked like it grew, my grass was greener, but the bird is gone.

No comments: