Monday, March 07, 2011

Strawberries and Doomsday .....

I can't help it. To this day, when I see or have strawberries, especially when eating them, I think of doomsday. This, in part, by a Charlton Heston movie called the Omega Man. You know, one of those biological warfare type scenarios where mankind is wiped out but only a few survive ... and there was this one scene when he discovers a woman eating from a jar of strawberry jam (stuff long gone and like GOLD), but he doesn't turn her in, oh no ... he swipes her spoon and enjoys the last lick. Now I may be mistaken, this could be another film, but I'm betting it starred Charlton.



Anyways, it was refreshing to have strawberries early March, even though they came from California, a place one wonders how things could still possibly grow under such air pollution and gas emissions. They did seem a tad big, like a growth serum was injected into them. Yum.




No ... my hands didn't develop a disease of rare blistering warts. These are small vine tomatoes grown in New Zealand, distributed by a company in smallsville, Delta, British Columbia. I'm allowed to call it smallsville because I grew up there.

Odd how the packaging will tell the consumer, inspected in Canada, packaged in Canada, distributed by Canada ... and in small print: grown in N.Z.

No comments: